Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Making History

Swine flu is to 2009 as Nuclear warfare is to. . .
a) the Cold War
b) 1945
c) 2009
d) all of the above

I swear that almost everyone out here that knows I have been sick as asked me if I have swine flu. They say I have several of the symptoms. They fail to notice that, unless you have what FarmerBoy revers to as the "Two-Can Syndrome," your average, run-of-the-mill flue strain shares several similarities: fever, body aches, runny or stuffy nose, sore throat, neausea. Deep down I think it is because they want to know someone who has it. . . some sort of weird connection to history that their posterity can share with their fifth grade class for generations to come. i.e. "My great-uncle Cletus knew someone whose first husband had a friend that worked with a guy that had a client who had a cousin that went to school with someone who had a roommate that had swine flu." Sorry I can't help you make history with that one. However, if you are talking about knowing people who may be getting nuked on Independence Day this year, sign me right up.

Word is North Korea is looking to test their long range missiles on Japan and the United States - more specifically, Hawaii and even more specifically, Oahu. Honestly, who gives the date and place to when and where they want to attack? It's like they are sending out an invitation to a party. "You are cordially invited to be blown-up on July 4, 2009. Please RSVP. Aloha wear or trendy Asian attire required." Oh, shoot. I already have other plans for that day. I'm planning on watching fireworks not being part of them. If something changes though, feel free to let your posterity name drop me for generations to come.

2 comments:

Beee said...

I think I would prefer to link you to the swine flu than the nuclear attack that is coming. I would not want you to be blown up. I don't think you would necessarily die from the swine flu, but I guess you do fit into that age group that has the highest mortality. Hmmmm. .. . I'll just name drop you as being a wonderful part of my family, not someone who died tragically. How's that?

Manda said...

Well, the thing is, when they do nuke you, then they can say, "Hello, We gave them fair warning and they chose not to leave, so..."