After wielding the knife for several minutes to no avail, I determined my best course of action would be to remove the door handle. Since I was stuck in my room I was able to accomplish this MacGyver style (my trusty manicure scissors moonlighted as a screwdriver). I soon had a door sans doorknob and I was. . . still stuck in my room. Ah stumbled out of bed again, curious to see how that could be. At this point we paused for a brief photo shoot (which also happens to explain how I managed to remain trapped in my room. . . with a full bladder).
At this point, Ah suggested we get some outside help. We thought of our next door neighbors but as soon as Ah texted them she remembered that most of them had gone camping and were most likely not back from their excursion. Then she came up with our home teachers. I informed her that had to be the lamest home teachee request for help EVER so she held off on calling them while I placed a call to our landlady. I only got her voice mail. She received a message that included the following:
I've been trapped in my room for at least 40 minutes. It's looking like you may need to get a new door for my room since it's becoming more and more likely that we'll have to break it down so I can get out. Hopefully when I talk to you next I'll be out of my room.
This is when I approved the phone call to the home teachers. However, since none of them answer their phones at 8:30 on Saturday mornings I had the bright idea to escape through the window onto the railing around the porch. . . until Ah, standing underneath with camera in hand as I scrunched through my window, repeatedly told me that I could fall and hurt my back causing me to another semester of school. I realized she had a point.
I sat in the window with my feet dangling over the edge suddenly aware of how horrible some of the fairy princesses - particularly Repunzel - had it. Thankfully, I didn't have to mull on that awareness for too long. My neighbors returned from their camping expedition and were greeted by an amusing text. They hurried over and, after a brief discussion of options, stood beneath my window and on the porch ready to catch me should I fall. I didn't and soon found myself free from the confines of my room. More importantly, I was able to relieve my bladder.
Next task: get back into my room - where all my school work was located (this took place just before finals week).
3 comments:
I am truly ashamed over the fact that I totally missed your post from nearly a month ago. I don't know how that happened. Maybe it was meant to be. Cynthia's post and yours gave me a good smile. How did you get into your room? I find that once I take off a door handle, usually a square ended chopstick works great to help open the latch. Keeps little kids out, but doesn't really keep them from looking in on you.
I left an award for you on my blog
just posting so you know that I have not forgotten you. Have a great day.
Post a Comment