I am fairly certain that grace is not one of the things that I was blessed with in this life. I was reminded of that this evening when I was working as a backstage crew member at a concert. Not only did the crowd in attendance get to witness this fact in motion but we had an audience watching via live stream over the internet. . . which included people in Israel who woke up at 6 a.m. to view the event. I was on the live feed more than I would have liked (meaning I was seen on it).
The highlight for the crowd (regarding my graceful performances) most likely came when I narrowly missed tripping down the front stairs to the stage and found myself within half an inch, no exaggeration, of walking straight into a microphone. I only missed this by pulling off a move I didn't know I had in me. My roommate, who was also out helping move mics, described what I did as 'Matrix-like' after she was able to compose herself enough to stop laughing and get up off the ground backstage. It took all her will power to make it that far.
Had I actually tripped, fell down the stairs and hit into the mic I'm not sure who would have believed the story. It sounds like something you would hear on Lifetime Channel in a made-for-tv-movie re-run about a woman in an abusive relationship. The title would follow the format of the woman's name, then a colon (no movie worth its weight on Lifetime would be complete without that gem of punctuation) and end with a ridiculously tragic phrase. You could expect something like: Victoria Charring: Shattered Eternities.
One of the highlights of my evening came early on when a group of senior citizens were getting ready to go on-stage. One of the men suddenly needed to go to the restroom REALLY BAD. One of the ladies turned to him and said, "Why didn't you go in the hour we were sitting here before now?" to which another lady responded, "Well, you know how it is now: You stand up anymore and you have to go."
Hopefully, I'll be adding some other posts in the next few weeks that will fill you in on the past 5-6 months of my life. I'm going to try and post them near the dates that they happened so when I add them I'll also add another posts that tell you to check for those dates.
Had I actually tripped, fell down the stairs and hit into the mic I'm not sure who would have believed the story. It sounds like something you would hear on Lifetime Channel in a made-for-tv-movie re-run about a woman in an abusive relationship. The title would follow the format of the woman's name, then a colon (no movie worth its weight on Lifetime would be complete without that gem of punctuation) and end with a ridiculously tragic phrase. You could expect something like: Victoria Charring: Shattered Eternities.
One of the highlights of my evening came early on when a group of senior citizens were getting ready to go on-stage. One of the men suddenly needed to go to the restroom REALLY BAD. One of the ladies turned to him and said, "Why didn't you go in the hour we were sitting here before now?" to which another lady responded, "Well, you know how it is now: You stand up anymore and you have to go."
Hopefully, I'll be adding some other posts in the next few weeks that will fill you in on the past 5-6 months of my life. I'm going to try and post them near the dates that they happened so when I add them I'll also add another posts that tell you to check for those dates.
6 comments:
good to see another post. I am glad that you are as graceful as the rest of the family.
Long time no see. I could visualize this, as I have also had similar situations, only difference at a store. Trust me ya don't wanna know.
Greg sometimes mistakes my own version of Matrix like moves for grace. I tell him if I were truly graceful, I would not have had to perform such a move to start with. Glad to see we are all in such good company.
I'm glad its not hereditary or else I would have those same problems. I was blessed with such large feet that they catch me when I stumble over them. Since this performance of yours was caught on the internet, I would truly like to see it.
Holy cow! A new post. Are you feeling O.K.?
Marissa, you may not believe this, but I still love you!!!!! And I've read all your blog things and laughed and laughed and remembered our roommate days and laughed some more!!
You are awesome and I can't wait til you write something else!!
Your friend Jenne
Post a Comment